[Asterisk-Users] VoIP-to-TDM processing on-card?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jan 20 15:39:08 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 17:15 -0500, Dana Olson wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:26:15 -0600, Steven Critchfield
> <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> > While it will probably be handled when you move out of outlook, please
> > wrap your lines at a reasonable length.
>
> Please tell me that Gmail is fine... If it isn't, I'll have to find
> something else.

So far so good. Others around here use gmail. I just have no use for
their user agreement. But then again, I have my own domain to fall back
to if I so choose.

> > It wasn't so much that your question was bad, but it didn't show that
> > you had the proper understanding of the question. If you had stated
> > which sites/URLs you had searched through to come to the conclusion that
> > there might be a reason the list would be more authoritative that those
> > URLs, it would have shown effort and therefore reason to be respected.
> > You will find that even in supposedly rough groups, effort is respected.
> > Few like freeloaders. Your question seemed like it was only about you
> > having others do your work. The extra couple of lines you would have
> > typed to show a bit of your previous effort would have sufficed to
> > eliminate that appearance.
>
> I understand, but the hardware list and the wiki I figured were known
> by all. Anyway, I'll be sure to do that in the future.

Well... many show up here with out doing any work at all. Those links
should be known by all.

> > When it comes down to it, reasonable hardware should handle decent
> > amounts of codec translations. If you are trying to stuff more than the
> > suggested amount of TE hardware in a box and do codec translation, then
> > you need to rethink the cost of failure. If you are dependant on 12 T1s
> > (value pulled from thin air, not necessarily related), You should see
> > about spitting it out over 3 boxes so at most you only lose 4 T1s at a
> > time. For most companies that rely on the phones, losing 1/3rd of the
> > production is pretty expensive, losing  all of production is not
> > tolerable. Any card that does the codec translation for you will
> > probably make you more likely to consolidate too many interfaces into
> > one machine.
>
> Yeah, that's why I was hoping there would be cards that do the work.
> If it comes down to it, I'll just go that route and build many boxes
> with less TE cards.

You know you shouldn't exceed 2 cards in a single machine. And with
machines being soo cheap right now, you really should consider not going
more than 1 card per machine.

My company just bought another Dell to hold a T100P card for just over
$700. 2.4ghz P4, half gig ram, 160gig sata drive, rack mount 1u. Granted
that machine will be devoted to a single customer of ours, I'm sure it
could handle more than a single T1 interface and do conversions just
fine.

> Anyway, I checked all around in the options of Gmail and I don't see
> anywhere to turn on or off HTML email, and I don't see anywhere that
> mentions linewrapping. If there is a problem, feel free to contact me
> off-list and let me know. I'll try my best to fix whatever is wrong.

gmail seems to have done the trick