[Asterisk-Users] Using Zyxel Analog Telephone adapter with a GSM gateway

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 20 13:09:58 MST 2005

Stig Thune wrote:

> Searching through wiki and google.
> http://www.2n.cz/products/gsm_gateways/voip/voiceblue.html
> but there are also other products on the market.
> ---
>
> Wondering if its possible to connect as follows:
>
> Extension -> Asterisk -> ZyxelAnalogTelephoneAdapter -> GSM gateway.

If I understand, you are doing.

Extension (VoIP) -> (VoIP) Asterisk (VoIP) -> (VoIP) Zyxtel (FXS) ->
(FXS) GSM

Unless I've missed something, it seems that you are trying to plug a
telephone adapter (Zyxtel) to another telephone adapter (FXS). FXS <->
FXS can't work. What you need is to plug in an FXO card in your * box so
you can do:

Extension (VoIP) -> (VoIP) Asterisk (FXO) -> (FXS) GSM.

Or even simpler, you could grab a $100 sipura 3k and a $150-200
"cellsocket" or "dock'n talk" device and you *should* get a simple,
functional 1 channel VoIP GSM gateway for about $300 (plus the cost of
the phone which is usually given away with subscription anyway). I've
never tried it though...

In comparison, the voiceblue GSM gateway costs a hefty $2,500 for 4
channels... so you can get about twice the channels for about the same
price. Except you might have to hack around, which costs time :)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.