[Asterisk-Users] Using Zyxel Analog Telephone adapter with aGSM gateway

Stig Thune stig.thune at telecoms-resources.no
Fri Jan 21 07:04:21 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Michel Hiver"

> If I understand, you are doing.
>
> Extension (VoIP) -> (VoIP) Asterisk (VoIP) -> (VoIP) Zyxtel (FXS) ->
> (FXS) GSM
>
> Unless I've missed something, it seems that you are trying to plug a
> telephone adapter (Zyxtel) to another telephone adapter (FXS). FXS <->
> FXS can't work. What you need is to plug in an FXO card in your * box so
> you can do:
>
> Extension (VoIP) -> (VoIP) Asterisk (FXO) -> (FXS) GSM.
>
> Or even simpler, you could grab a $100 sipura 3k and a $150-200
> "cellsocket" or "dock'n talk" device and you *should* get a simple,
> functional 1 channel VoIP GSM gateway for about $300 (plus the cost of
> the phone which is usually given away with subscription anyway). I've
> never tried it though...
>
> In comparison, the voiceblue GSM gateway costs a hefty $2,500 for 4
> channels... so you can get about twice the channels for about the same
> price. Except you might have to hack around, which costs time :)
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel.

The GSM gateway is been sold with FXO, which means that the diagram looks
like this:

Extension (VoIP) -> (VoIP) Asterisk (VoIP) -> (VoIP) Zyxtel (FXS) -> (FXO)
GSM

And this should work, right..(?)

Problem is that with the command I entered - asterisk does not seem to push
any other dtmf signals after the handshake. :(
And for the GSM gateway to recieve "which number to dial", you would have to
use the D option in Dial command.
(Im guessing)

Regards,
Stig Henning