[Asterisk-Users] callers who don't press any keys

Mon Jan 17 18:16:37 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 19:32 -0500, Warren Burstein wrote:
> I've noticed that some callers listen to our main menu and don't press
> any keys.  I have it set up to restart the menu a few times and
> eventually hang up.  I'm wondering if these are wrong numbers (in that
> case, why don't they hang up) or they really want to speak to someone
> here but don't understand the menu (what's so hard about "for the
> operator, press zero"?).  They couldn't still have rotary phones (or
> phones set to pulse dial), could they?
>
> I've been thinking of changing the menu so that if they don't press any
> keys, the eventually get the operator.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

Not specifically, though typically, the usual handling of this is to
transfer to an operator if they do nothing.... You may want to modify
your current hangup behaviour.

You may not have disconnect notification, or detection working, and so
the end user may have hung up, but your end doesn't realise, so it
cycles through the menu before hanging up (if you change to transfer to
an operator, then the operator should tell you they are getting lots of
calls with "some tone??"

Some people don't actually bother listening to all the crap, and just
wait for someone to answer... The number of people that ignore the
announcement of our company name, etc, and still think they are talking
to a different company... it surprises me....

Personally, it depends on how important the person contacting you is. If
it is a home phone, then don't worry, it is probably a tele-marketer or
something. If it is a problem, your mum/girlfriend/wife will tell you
sooner or later that you kept hanging up on her...
If it is a business, I'd strongly suggest changing to a default of 'send
to an operator' and let a human decide whether to hangup or not.

Just my 0.02c

Regards,
Adam
Adam Goryachev