[Asterisk-Users] callers who don't press any keys

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Mon Jan 17 17:32:20 MST 2005

Warren Burstein wrote:
> I've noticed that some callers listen to our main menu and don't press
> any keys.  I have it set up to restart the menu a few times and
> eventually hang up.  I'm wondering if these are wrong numbers (in that
> case, why don't they hang up) or they really want to speak to someone
> here but don't understand the menu (what's so hard about "for the
> operator, press zero"?).  They couldn't still have rotary phones (or
> phones set to pulse dial), could they?
>
> I've been thinking of changing the menu so that if they don't press any
> keys, the eventually get the operator.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

Yeah.  I get the same thing.  Not very often, but concerning none the less.

I guess the best bet would be to send all of these people to a
particular extension.  I.E. if you have zap extensions, you could do a
dial with r3 or r4 to change the ringing tone.  That way you would know
that they came to you because they didn't enter a number, and you could
interrogate them as to what/how/why etc...

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell