[Asterisk-Users] callers who don't press any keys

el Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Mon Jan 17 18:30:56 MST 2005

Warren Burstein wrote:
> I've noticed that some callers listen to our main menu and don't press
> any keys.  I have it set up to restart the menu a few times and
> eventually hang up.  I'm wondering if these are wrong numbers (in that
> case, why don't they hang up) or they really want to speak to someone
> here but don't understand the menu (what's so hard about "for the
> operator, press zero"?).  They couldn't still have rotary phones (or
> phones set to pulse dial), could they?
>
> I've been thinking of changing the menu so that if they don't press any
> keys, the eventually get the operator.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

For me most of the times its due to the TDM400P not being able to recognize the
caller had hung up (although sometimes it does, which is puzzling).

What I normally do is have a global "attempt" counter, and increment it
everytime the caller ends up in the "t" extension. Once it reaches a specified
maxattempt value, decided via a GotoIf statement in the "t" extension, you just
hang up the caller.

Flynn