[Asterisk-Users] Any interest in a Canadian Asterisk mailing list?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jan 17 12:38:42 MST 2005

On January 17, 2005 01:57 pm, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
> I'd have a hard time appreciating regulatory challenges in regions that
> I don't have involvement with, so I assume that the reciprocal is
> generally true as well. Granted, I shouldn't presume that everyone
> thinks as I do, but people tend to have a limited interest in subjects
> that don't directly affect them. I figure technical discussions in
> Asterisk-Users are nearly always of some value, while regulatory
> peculiarities mostly are not.

I agree with you on this, but then again I "put up" with so much on the -users
list that I really don't care to listen to, especially the same tired
discussions over and over, that I figure some regulatory babble might be a
welcome change.

That and for the half dozen or so Canuck-only threads I can think of off the
top of my head it's hardly worth putting together an entire mailing list.

> Having said all that, I want to stress that I do not feel that I am
> right and you are wrong. I not only respect your opinion, but am open to
> the possibility that you are correct in your assertion.

hahaha don't worry I've got a pretty thick skin and actually enjoy being
proven wrong...  makes me a better person.

> For me, however, the separate list seems to have value. It is not
> because I want to start a Canadian Club(tm), but more that I would love
> to talk about certain subjects of interest to Canadian Asterisk users,
> and somehow feel that Asterisk-Users is not the right venue for it.

Well as I said there's so much fluff in -users already that until we really
become a nuisance I don't see the harm in it at all.  Half of the stuff
belongs on -biz anyway and a full third of the remaining in
asterisk-newbies-who-refuse-to-research-before-posting...  a dozen or so
threads of stuff that makes no sense to anyone outside of Canada wouldn't
even register as a blip on the screen.

Besides my personal bet is that the CRTC is going to just mimic what the FCC
does anyway (c.f. UL vs CSA, wireless regulations, etc., etc.) that it would
be great to see what the various big boys stateside have to say and how they
interpret what's going on with the FCC and VOIP regulation.

> It's not a matter of right or wrong; more like personal taste, really.

Agreed.

-A.