[Asterisk-Users] Any interest in a Canadian Asterisk mailing list?

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Mon Jan 17 14:47:12 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> On January 17, 2005 01:57 pm, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>> I'd have a hard time appreciating regulatory challenges in regions
>> that I don't have involvement with, so I assume that the reciprocal
>> is generally true as well. Granted, I shouldn't presume that everyone
>> thinks as I do, but people tend to have a limited interest in
>> subjects that don't directly affect them. I figure technical
>> discussions in Asterisk-Users are nearly always of some value, while
>> regulatory peculiarities mostly are not.
>
> I agree with you on this, but then again I "put up" with so
> much on the -users
> list that I really don't care to listen to, especially the same tired
> discussions over and over, that I figure some regulatory
> babble might be a
> welcome change.

LOL. I hadn't thought of it that way. Little vignettes amidst the
commercials?

> That and for the half dozen or so Canuck-only threads I can
> think of off the
> top of my head it's hardly worth putting together an entire
> mailing list.

Just because the volume isn't there? That might be a good thing, ya know
- have a list with, say, one or two messages a day, on average.

>> Having said all that, I want to stress that I do not feel that I am
>> right and you are wrong. I not only respect your opinion, but am open
>> to the possibility that you are correct in your assertion.
>
> hahaha don't worry I've got a pretty thick skin and actually
> enjoy being
> proven wrong...  makes me a better person.

It was a policy at our company that any new product implementation would
always require Technical Support be involved until several engineers,
technicians and installers were comfortable with it. I hope I always
remember the lessons learned from getting new products, and having to
develop training and implementation practices.

I'd figure I was an expert on the ones that went smoothly, but then six
months later if someone would call me with problems, I'd discover that I
didn't know a thing. As for the ones that gave nothing but trouble, I'd
fear them, assuming I didn't know what I was doing, until it became
clear that more often than not, I knew more about them than the
manufacturer did.

The fewer the troubles, the less knowledge retained; the more painful
the task, the more god-like skills were obtained. It took me many years
to figure this out - I used to think it should be the other way around.

Seems that making mistakes is actually a fantastic (albeit
uncomfortable) way to learn. I sometimes wonder if I unconsciously muck
things up at first as a rite of passage.

Nobody knows a thing so well as those who can expertly break it.

>> For me, however, the separate list seems to have value. It is not
>> because I want to start a Canadian Club(tm), but more that I would
>> love to talk about certain subjects of interest to Canadian Asterisk
>> users, and somehow feel that Asterisk-Users is not the right venue
>> for it.
>
> Well as I said there's so much fluff in -users already that
> until we really
> become a nuisance I don't see the harm in it at all.  Half of
> the stuff
> belongs on -biz anyway and a full third of the remaining in
> asterisk-newbies-who-refuse-to-research-before-posting...  a
> dozen or so
> threads of stuff that makes no sense to anyone outside of
> Canada wouldn't
> even register as a blip on the screen.

You're probably right.

Would it be considered trolling to start a thread on Cleaning Maple
Syrup off of Dial Pads, or Wiring your Moose for Wi-Fi?

> Besides my personal bet is that the CRTC is going to just
> mimic what the FCC
> does anyway (c.f. UL vs CSA, wireless regulations, etc.,
> etc.) that it would
> be great to see what the various big boys stateside have to
> say and how they
> interpret what's going on with the FCC and VOIP regulation.
>
>> It's not a matter of right or wrong; more like personal taste,
>> really.
>
> Agreed.

Does that mean I'm right and you're wrong?

;-P