[Asterisk-Users] How to demo wired phone set on a wireless network

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sun Jan 16 01:40:16 MST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, David Norton wrote:

> If you know the brand of wireless access point, you are able to try find a
> repeater or bridge for that particular brand. Eg. If they using dlink
> equipmenk, the DWL2100 can act as a repeater for it. Quite a few brands of
> wireless equipment will only bridge to the same brand.
>
> The second option is to use a "generic" style bridge, ie. One that you are
> able to set to act as a "client" on their network. The Senoa client/bridges
> are ideal for this and have a good power output too. I believe some linksys
> equipment does this too but I have never tried it.
>
> One thing to be careful of, when you are using a bridge, rather than
> client/bridge, some equipment maps its own mac address to the IP address you
> use, and will not allow you to have more than one real ip on the other end
> of the bridge. This caused a few problems for me

Minor nit: you can have as many ip numbers as you want, it is the mac
address that is used and limited.

Apparently the process of establishing more than one mac address for one
wireless client device is not standardized. I know that the Zyxel
wireless access points and the cheap zyxel wireless adaptors can work
together to connect several mac addresses. One has to read the
specifications to find out what works.

Peter