[Asterisk-Users] Ramifications of Multiple Sip Reloads WithinMinutes?

Paul Rodan asterisk at glitch.cc
Mon Jan 10 13:41:26 MST 2005

Supposedly from what I can tell you're supposed to be able to reload as
often as you need, but from personal experiences I have seen issues with too
many reloads. Memory being wasted, or maybe a higher than average CPU usage,
something, for lack of a better term, "screwy". Something that almost always
gets fixed by a complete stop and restart.

What I do is, when an extension or account is created through our web
interface and it puts it into the sip.conf/extensions.conf/voicemail.conf
files, it creates a little file in the tmp directory, something like
"RELOAD_ASTERISK" and it's blank. Every 5 minutes, a cronjob runs, it looks
for that file, if it exists it will reload Asterisk and delete that file.

So if no changes were made in the past 5 minutes, Asterisk won't get
un-necessarily reloaded. This tends to be a good solution. Once a month or
so I stop Asterisk about 4am and start it again, just in case.

Who knows, it could all be in my head. What I do know. Shrug.