[Asterisk-Users] "Out the box" solutions?

Matt Gibson gibson at experthost.com
Wed Jan 5 17:38:04 MST 2005

Lane wrote:
> Hi, again.
>
> I've spent a week trying to get asterisk to work on FreeBSD unix, with some
> success.  Everything works until I plug the box into the TELCO line and then
> the line goes off-hook and stays that way.
>
> So I bit the bullet and decided to install the application on a fresh linux
> install.  Not to start an OS war, here, but linux is ... difficult ... for an
> old unix hand to get his mind around.  It's a completely different landscape!
> And why is it that /etc/modules.conf in one release is /etc/modprobe.conf in
> another?  Is this beast not based on standards?

I think you mean conf.modules vs modules.conf, which are there for
backwards compatibility. Yes, I concur they should stick with one or the
other to not confuse newbies, but tell that to all the linux maintainers :)

> But I digress.
>
> I chose FC3 (Fedora Core) for the install, and now I'm sorry that I did.

There's your first problem :)

Try Gentoo or Slackware.

> At least with unix I was able to get a dial tone!  Not so much with this
> flavor of linux.  Each time I run "modprobe wcfxs" I get the following errors
> in /var/log/messages:

Did you read the docs, check the mailing lists and the wiki for
information on kernel 2.6? you will have to issue 'make linux26' for
that to work.

Also, since the cvs release as of Nov 9th, it's now modprobe wctdm, not
wcfxs

> So ... the question:  What flavor of linux does asterisk actually run on "Out
> the box?"

Many of them, but you will have to do some reading first. Or try one of
the Asterisk Live cd's, or customized ISO installers.

> I'm not scared to compile asterisk, but I'm not at all interested in
> recompiling a linux kernel.

You are going to have to get your hands dirty if you wish to accomplish
anything productive. Or, hire a consultant.

Matt

--
Matt Gibson
VOIP Administrator