[Asterisk-Users] "Out the box" solutions?

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Wed Jan 5 17:14:48 MST 2005

Hi, again.

I've spent a week trying to get asterisk to work on FreeBSD unix, with some
success.  Everything works until I plug the box into the TELCO line and then
the line goes off-hook and stays that way.

So I bit the bullet and decided to install the application on a fresh linux
install.  Not to start an OS war, here, but linux is ... difficult ... for an
old unix hand to get his mind around.  It's a completely different landscape!
And why is it that /etc/modules.conf in one release is /etc/modprobe.conf in
another?  Is this beast not based on standards?

But I digress.

I chose FC3 (Fedora Core) for the install, and now I'm sorry that I did.

At least with unix I was able to get a dial tone!  Not so much with this
flavor of linux.  Each time I run "modprobe wcfxs" I get the following errors
in /var/log/messages:

Jan  5 17:57:59 asterisk wait_for_sysfs[2782]: either wait_for_sysfs (udev
039)needs an update to handle the device '/class/zaptel/zap1' properly (no
device symlink) or the sysfs-support of your device's driver needs to be
fixed, please report to <linux-hotplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
Jan  5 17:57:59 asterisk wait_for_sysfs[2784]: either wait_for_sysfs (udev
039)needs an update to handle the device '/class/zaptel/zap2' properly (no
device symlink) or the sysfs-support of your device's driver needs to be
fixed, please report to <linux-hotplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
Jan  5 17:57:59 asterisk wait_for_sysfs[2786]: either wait_for_sysfs (udev
039)needs an update to handle the device '/class/zaptel/zap3' properly (no
device symlink) or the sysfs-support of your device's driver needs to be
fixed, please report to <linux-hotplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
Jan  5 17:57:59 asterisk wait_for_sysfs[2788]: either wait_for_sysfs (udev
039)needs an update to handle the device '/class/zaptel/zap4' properly (no
device symlink) or the sysfs-support of your device's driver needs to be
fixed, please report to <linux-hotplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

I'm not so interested in notifying these guys at lists.sourceforge.net, since
I'm only interested in running asterisk.  Once I commit to actually using
linux I might participate in their forum, but not yet :)

So ... the question:  What flavor of linux does asterisk actually run on "Out
the box?"

I'm not scared to compile asterisk, but I'm not at all interested in
recompiling a linux kernel.

Of course if that is the only way, then I guess I'll just bite another bullet.
Hell!  I want this PBX to work so bad that I can almost taste it!

Please advise.

lane