[Asterisk-Users] 8 pstn lines+ on Asterisk supported hardware.

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 3 11:47:13 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 19:43 +0200, Hadi Jadallah wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have this project that requires me to use 8 PSTN lines and possible more. I was thinking 2 TDM cards with FXO modules.
> The I got to read the "Qs about FXO/FXS cards" thread and that scared me.
> Can anybody recommend anything that is known to work ok with no mysterious problems?
> I was thinking OpenSwitch12 cards. What do you guys think?
> Any help is appreciated.

Size up your need and consider a T1 or E1 interface. You are really
close to some markets break even point. Also expanding beyond 8 lines
should probably be done only on a digital line. Add to it the ability to
have faster ring and hangup detection, cleaner lines, and no concern
about impedance matching echo problems.

Then you can look at the future growth potential. With a T1/E1 interface
already in place, it shouldn't be any real effort or even delay if you
want to add more circuits. From the switch side they just turn up a few
more DS0's and you coordinate to configure your side as well. No real
circuits have to be wired and no new equipment to add. Not to mention a
single TE100P card at $500 is cheaper than 2 TDM400 cards fully kitted
out.