[Asterisk-Users] Digium Card Problems

Mon Feb 28 01:44:36 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 09:58 +0200, Mark Kidd wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i need urgent help our entire switchboard is down only 5 days after it came
> up.
>
> this is the second time this has happened and i am thinking that asterisk is
> not worth the trouble it gives.

Or you don't know enough about asterisk to be the person people will
point at when things go pear shaped.
Remember, calling people (or their hard work) names isn't going to
propel them towards helping you! Sure, you are under pressure, but you
aren't paying us, so we don't feel any of your pressure.

Please do read on though...

> mostly it runs without hassle. but around 2 weeks ago during the test phase
> we rebooted the machine and
> did the normal modprobes and this error popped up.
>
> coming back to work after the weekend the machine was put on and same thing
> again please see below.

Why would you shut it down just because there is a weekend? Asterisk and
linux are designed to be running 24/7.... I've always found that you are
most likely to experience a problem while re-booting. Once running,
things tend to work fine.

> modprobe zaptel -> no problems
> [root at asterisk root]# modprobe wcfxo
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/wcfxo.o: init_module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> inva
> lid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/wcfxo.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/wcfxo.o fa
> iled
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/wcfxo.o: insmod wcfxo failed
>
> [root at asterisk root]# modprobe wcfxs
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/wctdm.o: init_module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> inva
> lid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/wctdm.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/wctdm.o fa
> iled
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/wctdm.o: insmod wcfxs failed
>
> we are running the 4 port fxo digium card. so normal the modprobe wcfxs no
> problems modules load and board comes up after
> starting asterisk.
>
> i i said this is now the second time this has happened cannot remember what
> we did to fix this the first time if
> memory is correct it just decide to work after a while when loading the
> modules.

Try power-off, and wait, and then power-on. Remember to remove the power
cord from the back. You want to completely re-set the TDM card, and if
you leave the power cord in, it will continue to receive some power.

Also, you haven't told us what revision/version of the TDM card you
have, nor what version of zaptel you are using. I would suggest you
upgrade zaptel & asterisk to v1.0.6 if the above doesn't solve the
problem.

> i am now looking like an idiot as i punted this solution rather hard and now
> we have no board up.

You should also have 'punted' an asterisk knowledgeable person. While
you may have known enough to get the system this far (and kudos to you
fo acheiving that much) you should have a local asterisk 'guru' for
times like this. I would suggest you find one soon. Even with a
'standard' PBX solution, you would still need someone to call upon once
your limited knowledge of the product isn't enough to solve the problem.

> please if anyone can help.

Next time you might also consider contacting digium. This issue is
clearly related to the digium purchased hardware, it is happening before
you even try to start asterisk.

PS, You might also check the card is properly plugged into the PCI slot,
that it does have the extra molex power connector correctly plugged in,
etc...
Also check the output of lspci, if it doesn't show up there, then it is
most likely a hardware problem. Also can try moving it to a different
PCI slot (which just forces you to confirm all of my above
suggestions :)

Regards,
Adam

Adam Goryachev