[Asterisk-Users] 'asterisk' displays on 2nd line (CID Number Line) on Cisco 79x0 phones

Albert Chaffman achaffman at ml3group.com
Sat Feb 26 15:41:49 MST 2005

I have found that I can make the phones display any one word on this
second line by adding a fromuser=<word> in sip.conf.  This really isn't
good enough though.  When you look at the received calls or missed calls
directory, each item has two lines, the first is the CID name, and the
2nd is supposed to be the CID number.  However, if it is asterisk, or
some other word, when you hit the "Dial" softkey, it fails trying to
dial.  If you hit the "Edit" softkey, the name is correct, and the Phone
field shows "asterisk", or whatever it was changed to by the fromuser
setting.

I am just curious if this is something anyone has thought about.  Is
there anyway there could be a specific command to change SIP header when
a Dial command is sent to a 79x0 phone to reflect the CID number in the
From: command.  I don't know if the cisco phones are the only ones that
have this issue.

Also, I read a message on this list from September that asked this same
basic question.  The answer given was to make sure the CID is correct.
I have tried many combinations of manually setting the CIDname, CIDnum,
and just CID right before my dial command, and nothing I have tried has
made any difference.  I do have this simple logic which at least
displays the number if a name isn't there:

exten => s,1,answer
exten => s,2,LookupCIDName
exten => s,3,GotoIf($["${CALLERIDNAME}" != "${CALLERIDNUM}"]?5)
exten => s,4,SetCIDName(${CALLERIDNUM})
exten => s,5,Dial(SIP/{ARG1},18)
exten => s,6,Voicemail(su${ARG1})

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Albert Chaffman