[Asterisk-Users] Delay after entering digits with IVR

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Thu Feb 24 22:43:49 MST 2005

Time Bandit wrote:
>>In either case (background or backgrounddetect) when I hit 1 or 2 there
>>is a 5 to 8 second delay AFTER I hit the button before it goes to the
>>menu.
>
> I think setting the digit timeout would help.
> DigitTimeout(seconds)  : Set maximum timeout between digits
>
> exten => s,1,Wait,1                     ; Wait a second, just for fun
> exten => s,2,Answer                     ; Answer the line
> exten => s,3,SetMusicOnHold,default
> exten => s,4,ResponseTimeout,5         ; Set Response Timeout
> exten => s,5,DigitTimeout,1         ; Set Digit Timeout to 1 sec
>
> Adjust to taste
>
> See http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+DigitTimeout
>
> hth

A really good way to make sure that your IVR's are snappy is to make
sure that parts of your dialplan do not overlap.  Start the extensions
for your phones fairly high so you can have s good range of options in IVR-

[mainaa]
exten => s,1,Wait,1
exten => s,2,Answer
extem => ......

exten => 1,1,Queue(reptiles)
exten => 2,1,Queue(rodents)
exten => 3,1,Queue(dogs)
exten => 4,1,Queue(cats)
exten => 5,1,Queue(fish)
exten => 6,1,Queue(birds)

[incoming]
include => mainaa
include => intern

[intern]
exten => 700,1,Dial(SIP/700,20)
exten => 700,2,Hangup

exten => 701,1,Dial(SIP/701,20)
exten => 701,2,Hangup

	This way, when someone hits 1-6 in your main menu * knows that those
Q's are the only thing that could possibly match, and it happens
instantly...  Meanwhile, it knows to wait out for the extensions, but
the same principle applies there....

--
Kristian Kielhofner