[Asterisk-Users] Segmentation fault {Writer given gnu-lashing}

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sun Feb 20 14:42:22 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> I have no problem with Slackware,

Me neither. I learned Linux with Slack. Found it to be extremely
friendly. And that was 10 years ago. Last time I chacked, it was still
friendly (and not at all GUI, unless you want it served that way)

> But when you are learning to drive a car you should first try
> a Chevy with an automatic transmission first before strapping
> on a 6 speed Ferrari.

Popular opinion holds that people who learn to drive standard first
generally end up being better drivers. And why wouldn't you want to
learn on a Ferrari since you can get one for free!?!

> Humor helps in teaching and getting a person to step out of a
> rut they are having a problem in and gives them a chance to
> rethink what might be going on.

Ya, but humour should be dispensed carefully, lest offence be given.

> Remember, my goal is to reduce the number of variables in the system.

The problem I see with Fedora is that you can install it successfully
without learning anything about Linux. Slackware is rather good for
learning Linux, because it is friendly and helpful, but still expects
you to make the decisions. I'd argue that a familiarity with the shell
is going to be essential for even a basic Asterisk install. It's not a
pre-qualifier so much as an essential skill.

LOL! You're just bored and are trolling for a holy war, eh? Well, I
guess we gotta shake off these Febraury blah's somehow.

GENTOO IS FOR WANNABE NEWBIES!!! (that oughta stir things up)

--
Jim Van Meggelen
jim at vanmeggelen.ca