[Asterisk-Users] Segmentation fault {Writer given gnu-lashing}

Julius Schwartzenberg julius at zgod.cjb.net
Sun Feb 20 14:59:13 MST 2005

Thanks a lot for your message.

Race Vanderdecken schreef:
> Ouch,
>
> Do you know how to use gdb, the Gnu Debugger?
>
> That will give you a clue as to where the segmentation fault is coming
> from.
No, I once used it being instructed exactly by a developer to solve a
problem in Dosemu, but I never did anything else with it.
I understand that I need to recompile Asterisk with debugging support.
Could you give me some pointers on what to do next?

> Good, then let me move on to the insults and ranting.
>
> 1. Why are you running on Slackware?
> 	Are you trying to prove a point or just enjoy being frustrated?
> 	Open Source is like "Broad Spectrum Pesticide", it works but
> your results may vary and you may end up killing your lawn.
I'm using a pretty old system and I have good experiences with Slackware
  on other systems. Here are the specs of the system I'm using:
IBM/Cyrix PR-200 (@150MHz), 64MB RAM, two HDs which are combined ~2GB.

> 2. The dearth of information of value in your posting is amazing.
> 	I went to http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm (a good
> start, good effort Mr. Powell.) As stated above, you life might be
> easier using FEDORA, not an endorsement of Red Hat, rather a plea for a
> unified Linux base (please don't say Debian, self-installing the
> micro-chip in my head was easier.) (it is the new Anti-AMD Intel Rantino
> chip for those interested.)
I've never used Fedora on older systems, but I thought it wouldn't run
very well on the system I'm using.
(Good thing you don't have an Anti-IBM chip ;)

> 3. "I've never installed or used Asterisk before, so I do not know much
> about it."
> 	1. What is your goal with installing Asterisk?
We have about 8 telephones that use the plain telephone system to call
each other and externally. Some of them are analog and others are
digital (ISDN). I've also still got the old ISDN card from before we had
ADSL. (Eicon Diva 2.01 ISA, seems to work with the hisax module.)
Since I read that Asterisk worked with any ISDN adapter that was
supported by ISDN4Linux, I thought it might be possible to hook it up in
such a way that the phones could call the Asterisk system and that
Asterisk would forward the call to a computer (and maybe even over the
internet). Also the other way around would be neat.

> 	2. Do you have Digium or other hardware installed?
No. Only the ISDN adapter.

> 	3. Are you running SIP/H323/MGCP?
No. I've experimented with SIP before, but only with a softphone, using
an account from SIPPhone.com. It would be nice if I could call my
Asterisk system using SIP!

> 	4. Did you modify any files?
None from Asterisk.

> 4. What was the last thing on the *CLI> screen before the seg fault?
The command to run Asterisk. It immediatly gives the error when I try to
run it.

Is Asterisk able to do, what I thought it would do or am I just messing?

> Come on Mr. Caesar throw us a bone here.
>
> All Hail,
>
> Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken

Thanks again,
Julius