[Asterisk-Users] Q: Does anyone have a WE multi-line card dialer phone working with *?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Feb 14 07:34:56 MST 2005

asterisk at draughon.org wrote:

>Folks,
>
>	I recently obtained a Western Electric multi-line phone and am seeking help with getting this beast working with *.
>
>	The interesting stuff in my * implementation consists of a T100P
>card, a TDM400P card, and an Adtran TA750 channel bank with three quad-port
>FXS modules and a quad-port FXO. The TA750 is wired to a 24-port Cat 5 patch
>panel via a 25-pair Amp cable.
>
>	The phone is a model 2662A1M; it has five lines, a hold button (I
>presume), card dialer capability, and a 25-pair Amp cable for connecting to
>The Phone System. (The card dialer feature, IMHO, scores major geek points.
>If you're not familiar with it, you take a special plastic card about the
>size of a credit card and punch out two tiny discs for each digit in a phone
>number. When it's time to call that number, you insert the card in the
>phone, take the handset off hook, push the "START" button, and--voila!--the
>phone speed dials your party.)
>
>	Each line in the phone uses three pairs in the Amp cable; the first
>pair is for ring and tip, the second pair is a mystery (I'm eagerly awaiting a copy of one of the phone's BSPs so I can find out), and the third pair illuminates the lamp in the button. Most of the remaining pairs in the Amp cable connect to one of the terminal boards inside the phone, and one pair connects to the phone's network (presumably for common ringing, since the
>leads connect to L1 and L2).

This, and MANY other multi line phones  were used in 1A2 key systems
You will need a support Key Service Unit to use this in a multi line
with hold an illumination configuration
Simply put your "2nd pair" is the A lead control
When the line is selected, and the phone is off hook, the pair is a
short, allowing the A relay in the 400 ( NOT TDM400 ) card in the KSU to
pick up, sending 10 VAC to the lamp leads. When the hold button is
pressed, the T&R loop is still made, but the A lead circuit is opened,
putting the 400 card in the KSU into a hold condition, then when the
hold button is released, the line button pops up as well, removing the
set from the T&R of that line.

Many 1A2 multi line phones could be connected in parallel, in an office.
The last 5 pair on this phone were probably used for outboard
speakerphone, and would not be used  or connected to other sets.

Elementary Telephony.

John Novack