[Asterisk-Users] asterisk@home scary log

Dana Olson rickaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 06:56:32 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:49:23 +0000, Clive Carter
<clive.carter at sbcs.co.uk> wrote:
> I hesitated before sending this, as I have been flamed before for being a beginner. but
> I am newish to linux/asterisk, and I am running an ssh server. It is still running with default settings, (I dont know yet how/where to change it), and I CAN logon remotely as root.
> (Haven't figured out how to 'su' yet !)
>
> This is using the Rapid Xorcomm v 1.0 cd, which I believe (may be wrong) is based on a very recent version of Debian ?
> Perhaps xorcom have changed the default setting ?
>
> --
> Clive
>
> Email   : clive.carter at sbcs.co.uk
> Tel     : 08444844790
>    Alt : 08450043366
> Fax     : 08444844813
> SIP     : 84416002 at voiptalk.org
> Mobile  : 07031945504

Hey Clive. I thought it was mentioned earlier before in the thread,
but if not, all you need to do is edit your sshd_config file. In
Debian, this is located at /etc/ssh/sshd_config, but it could be
different for other distros. Open that up in a text editor and then
locate the line that says PermitRootLogin yes, and change that to
PermitRootLogin no. Save it, and then restart SSH. On Debian, you type
in /etc/init.d/ssh restart, but on other distros it might be
different. Note that you'll have to be root to edit that file and
restart that service.
--
Dana