[Asterisk-Users] asterisk@home scary log

Clive Carter clive.carter at sbcs.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 10:49:23 MST 2005

>>I'm not sure what happens when you do a fresh compile and
>> install of OpenSSH, but every distro I've ever worked with
>> (Red Hat, Gentoo, Slackware, Vector, Tao, Yellow Dog,
>> Debian, Knoppix, SuSe, Linspire, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin,
>> OS X) has allowed root logins via SSH by default.  Maybe
>> they're changing that on newer versions of some distros.
>> I dunno.

>I'll call bullshit on that. I know for a fact that Debian does NOT allow
>root logins except from console. Hell Debian isn't allowing root logins
>from X anymore due to the likely hood for you to try and use root for
>more than administration.

I hesitated before sending this, as I have been flamed before for being a beginner. but
I am newish to linux/asterisk, and I am running an ssh server. It is still running with default settings, (I dont know yet how/where to change it), and I CAN logon remotely as root.
(Haven't figured out how to 'su' yet !)

This is using the Rapid Xorcomm v 1.0 cd, which I believe (may be wrong) is based on a very recent version of Debian ?
 Perhaps xorcom have changed the default setting ?

--
Clive

Email	: clive.carter at sbcs.co.uk
Tel	: 08444844790