[Asterisk-Users] asterisk@home scary log

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Feb 11 15:55:06 MST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 05:49:23PM +0000, Clive Carter wrote:
> I hesitated before sending this, as I have been flamed before for being a
> beginner. but
> I am newish to linux/asterisk, and I am running an ssh server. It is still
> running with default settings, (I dont know yet how/where to change it),
> and I CAN logon remotely as root.
> (Haven't figured out how to 'su' yet !)
>
> This is using the Rapid Xorcomm v 1.0 cd, which I believe (may be wrong) is
> based on a very recent version of Debian ?
> Perhaps xorcom have changed the default setting ?

No, those are indeed the default settings of Debian. As for allowing
root login via ssh, README.Debian of the ssh package states that no bugs
should be files about that subject.

As for a separate user account: We figured that creating a separate user
will complicate things. Chances are people will use the default
suggested user name as the user name and the same password for the
user's and root's password. Or at least: too many of the people. Anyway,
I have added today some menu entries for adding a user, disabling root
login, changing the ssh port, and een finally added a basic firewall
script (though ssh is on by default).

So update &upgrade &restart the menu to get a modified "maintinance"
menu.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's