[Asterisk-Users] Why does Asterisk Hangup cause server to freeze?

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 12:04:15 MST 2005

Hello all.

I'm still investigating the cause of freezes on my
asterisk server. It's a minimal installation: the only
things I remember running are httpd, sshd, sendmail
and asterisk itself. I have a DID from Voicepulse. No
telephony cards or SIP phones ... I'm just trying to
figure out the voicemail issues at this point. So a
call comes in, and the caller can type a voicemail
number and leave a message. So far so good.

I'm using Asterisk CVS-v1-0-12/12/04-15:58:29 on a
i686 running WhiteBox Enterprise Linux.

Unfortunately, Asterisk has been crashing multiple
times a day. When it crashes, it takes the whole
machine with it ... I can't make the server accept any
keystrokes or mouse events, no virtual consoles,
nothing. Only a hard reboot satisfies this beast. When
I reboot, there's nothing particularly interesting in
/var/log/asterisk/messages either.

After a LOT of reboots, I finally realised that the
occasions when the machine would freeze were exactly
the occasions when my dialplan indicated that the next
priority should cause a Hangup. For example, I had:

exten => 7777,1,Playback(transfer,skip)
exten => 7777,2,VoiceMail,u7777
exten => 7777,3,Hangup
exten => 7777,102,VoiceMail,b7777
exten => t,1,Hangup
exten => i,1,Hangup

And this would reliably freeze the machine after I
left a voicemail in mailbox 7777, or pressed an
invalid key, or allowed Asterisk to timeout.
Basically, all I wanted was for Asterisk to hangup on
the caller. :)

Now I've changed all instances of Hangup to
SoftHangup, and the problem does not occur any more.
This is unsatisfactory, though, because I DO want
asterisk to hang up the connection when it sees fit.

Does anyone have any ideas why Hangup isn't working
for me? It seems a simple enough command, and others
are obviously using it! Has anyone else encountered
problems with Hangup? Some folks had suggested that
the freeze could be indicative of a hardware problem,
but it doesn't seem likely given that changing Hangup
to SoftHangup seems to remove the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
BeOnIce.