[Asterisk-Users] breaking friends into users & peers

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Feb 9 00:13:06 MST 2005

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> I am about to start a program that will be generaging sip device
> configurations for sip.conf. My current sip.conf contains friend entries
> for each SIP device connected to asterisk.
>
> Should I even be attempting to split these in to seperate user/peer
> devices?
>

> Can two entries with the same name exist at the same time, if one is a
> friend and the other is a user? Mainly, I'm asking, are the results here
>  undefined, or is this a recognized use?

A type=friend is loaded in Asterisk chan_sip as one peer and one user
with identical names. You can not define a type=friend *and* type=user
with the same name, since you will end up with two users with the same name.
 > Is there(should there be) a convention for referring to the two distinct
 > modes of a device?

For local phones, type=friend works fine most of the time. When you
connect to something else, a SIP service or a phone that is connected to
a SIP proxy, type=friend is propably something that gives you headache,
because you need to separate configuration for incoming calls and
outbound calls.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+sip+type

/O