[Asterisk-Users] HP ProLiant server for Asterisk

Dana Olson rickaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:02:33 MST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:35:14 -0500, Dana Olson <rickaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:07:14 +0100 (CET), Christoph Rothe
> <asterisk-users at christophrothe.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Dana Olson wrote:
> >
> > > I'm looking at ordering a server from HP. I checked around on Google
> > > and found in the Wiki that the ProLiant DL380 is supposed to be known
> > > to work with *.
> >
> > > HP ProLiant DL380 G4 Server w/ the following options:
> > > Intel Xeon 3.20GHz/1MB
> > > 2GB REG PC2-3200 (2 X 1GB)
> > > HP ProLiant Battery Backed Write Cache Enabler for SA6i
> > > RAID 1 drive set
> > > HP 36.4GB Pluggable Ultra320 SCSI 15,000 rpm (1") Universal Hard Drive
> > > HP 36.4GB Pluggable Ultra320 SCSI 15,000 rpm (1") Universal Hard Drive
> > > Hot Plug Redundant Power Supply Module
> > > HP Redundant Fan Option Kit (3 fans)
> > > 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
> > > Slimline 24X CD-ROM
> >
> > Nice setup I think. The only thing with the DL380G3 and G4 is that it
> > freezes in some situations. This has been reported in the company
> > where I work and is a known bug to HP which will be solved by some
> > firmware upgrade.
> >
> > However the problem occurs only in some special situation noone can
> > really describe (cosmic rays ?! ;-) and at that location where I work
> > we installed SAP on a DL380G3 and it never froze.
> >
> > And at the end let me say that personally I like the DL380s. You can
> > even resize Logical Drives of the RAID (e.g. when putting in
> > some new harddisc) without shutting down the server!
> >
> > Good Luck!
> >
> > Christoph
> >

> Thanks for all of the replies, both on and off list.
>
> I should have also mentioned that I'll be installing Debian Stable on
> it. Are you using Debian or something else?
>
> There seems to be an issue with the G4 and the Digium TE cards, so I'm
> unsure about placing the order at this time. I've been eyeing the
> Sangoma A104 card and the ipVolution TDM120 (not out yet, I believe)
> as an alternative.
>
> I have a service contract with an HP provider, so I'd prefer to stick
> with an HP server, if at all possible. However, if the T1 interfaces
> cause issues, there may be no choice.
> --
> Dana

Out of curiosity, do any of you think that the ML350 would be a better
choice, with similar options? They're a lot cheaper too, and I haven't
found any negative reports (no solid positive reports either) yet. The
Debian install will be a bit annoying, but that's alright, as long as
it's do-able.
--
Dana