[Asterisk-Users] HP ProLiant server for Asterisk

Dana Olson rickaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:35:14 MST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:07:14 +0100 (CET), Christoph Rothe
<asterisk-users at christophrothe.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Dana Olson wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at ordering a server from HP. I checked around on Google
> > and found in the Wiki that the ProLiant DL380 is supposed to be known
> > to work with *.
>
> > HP ProLiant DL380 G4 Server w/ the following options:
> > Intel Xeon 3.20GHz/1MB
> > 2GB REG PC2-3200 (2 X 1GB)
> > HP ProLiant Battery Backed Write Cache Enabler for SA6i
> > RAID 1 drive set
> > HP 36.4GB Pluggable Ultra320 SCSI 15,000 rpm (1") Universal Hard Drive
> > HP 36.4GB Pluggable Ultra320 SCSI 15,000 rpm (1") Universal Hard Drive
> > Hot Plug Redundant Power Supply Module
> > HP Redundant Fan Option Kit (3 fans)
> > 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
> > Slimline 24X CD-ROM
>
> Nice setup I think. The only thing with the DL380G3 and G4 is that it
> freezes in some situations. This has been reported in the company
> where I work and is a known bug to HP which will be solved by some
> firmware upgrade.
>
> However the problem occurs only in some special situation noone can
> really describe (cosmic rays ?! ;-) and at that location where I work
> we installed SAP on a DL380G3 and it never froze.
>
> And at the end let me say that personally I like the DL380s. You can
> even resize Logical Drives of the RAID (e.g. when putting in
> some new harddisc) without shutting down the server!
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Christoph

Thanks for all of the replies, both on and off list.

I should have also mentioned that I'll be installing Debian Stable on
it. Are you using Debian or something else?

There seems to be an issue with the G4 and the Digium TE cards, so I'm
unsure about placing the order at this time. I've been eyeing the
Sangoma A104 card and the ipVolution TDM120 (not out yet, I believe)
as an alternative.

I have a service contract with an HP provider, so I'd prefer to stick
with an HP server, if at all possible. However, if the T1 interfaces
cause issues, there may be no choice.
--
Dana