[Asterisk-Users] RE: Cisco 7960G phone crashes during SIP upgrade

Gene Willingham gwillingham at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 07:49:47 MST 2005

I found the phones to be very flaky.

Make SURE:

1.  The txt files are unix txt files. NO CR/LF at end of line.  If you edit
the files on a PC use wordpad only.  If you use Notepad they will ADD extra
characters that causes the phone to reject the files.  Do not save them as
Unicode text files, this is cause it to fail as well.

2.  The 7.x SIP image is not a full image, you have to start with 6.3 or
6.0.  I have had success starting with 6.3 on some phones, but others
required me to start with 6.0

3.  Upgrade path 6.0 > 6.3 > 7.3

4.  The 7.3 upgrade fails because the directions on how to upgrade are
wrong.  Try this.

	a.  Edit OS79XX.TXT and put P003-07-3-00 as image name
	b.  Edit SIPDefault.txt and put image name as P003-07-3-00

	Reboot the phone.

	The phone will upgrade the universal loader application, then fail
on loading the 7.3 application w/ a "Protocol Application Invalid" error.
DO NOT UNPLUG THE PHONE:

	c.  Now Edit SIPDefault.txt and change image name to P0S3-07-3-00

	When the phone reboots by itself, it will upgrade the SIP image to
7.3  and hopefully you are done.  I have found with no explanation that
sometimes the phone will take multiple reboot with errors before it will
work.  Cisco says there is a "Checklist" of things it is looking for.
Apparently this checklist progresses from each successive reboot.  If you
unplug the phone all you are doing is starting over again.  Be patient it
could take 20 - 30 minutes for each phone.

I am not an expert, I have successfully upgraded 20 phones.  This was the
best I could figure out through trial and error.

If you get a checksum error on the SIP 6.3 image, the problem is with your
config files not the image.

Good luck.  I have found upgrading polycoms easier.  Found the phone quality
to be very good.  They have a bug in their 1.3 image that affects phone to
phone dialing on the polycom.  That appears to have gone away when I
upgraded to 1.4

Gene

Message: 8