[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Dec 30 06:23:30 MST 2005

> > Anyone have any info on porting numbers away from a VoIP provider to a Ma
> > Bell or the like?  Thanks!!
>
> I had a friend port his from Bell ->VOIP ->VOIP.  He had no trouble.
>
> I would use a couple providers.  So this way if one goes down there is a backup.

In very general terms (at least in the US), telephone numbers that are
considered portable can be moved from one itsp to another. However, the
move process generally involves a "request" for that move on the part of
the receiving itsp and an "acknowledgement" on the part of the old itsp
(or original owner of the number).

That transfer process has had lots of problems of which some include:
- some itsp's don't have a clue how to do it
- some telco's refuse to acknowledge the transfer
- etc, etc.

Most of the larger telco's will handle such requests rather well.