[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Dec 30 14:58:59 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 15:41 -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > > So use call forwarding from the Telco, forward it to a VoIP DID, if you lose
> > > the VoIP DID, change the forwarding to another number.
> > >

> > I thought my local telco told me that if I were to do that, I would have
> > to pay them LD charges for each call that came in to that number.
> >
> > Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by forward here?
>
> Your pstn line will be charge the long distance charge "if" you forward
> your local calls to an out of area number.

or have business service that pays per minute.  I worked for an ISP
almost a decade ago that had many residential lines with no services and
call forwarding enabled (total cost less than $10/mo) to use to increase
their dialup numbers.  They forwarded to the main dialup number in the
hunt group.  Largely they were placed at customer sites (in exchange for
discounted service - nondialup customers).  We had 99 forwards enabled,
and becuase they were residential lines local calling meant no
additional cost.  Not a very nice thing to do, but hey after 12 years in
business that isp is still only one county large.  Kinda tells you
something about that ...

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378