[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

Austin Denyer adenyer at ekn.com
Fri Dec 30 06:43:18 MST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 07:23:30 -0600
Rich Adamson  <radamson at routers.com> wrote:

> In very general terms (at least in the US), telephone numbers that are
> considered portable can be moved from one itsp to another. However,
> the move process generally involves a "request" for that move on the
> part of the receiving itsp and an "acknowledgement" on the part of
> the old itsp (or original owner of the number).
>
> That transfer process has had lots of problems of which some include:
> - some itsp's don't have a clue how to do it
> - some telco's refuse to acknowledge the transfer
> - etc, etc.
>
> Most of the larger telco's will handle such requests rather well.

The 'rules' are somewhat flaky though, as there is no legal requirement
for a provider to port within it's own network.  Whilst this may seem
pointless, consider the following:

You have a Boost Mobile pre-paid phone, and want to go to a Nextel
contract (or vice-versa).  Boost Mobile is owned by Sprint/Nextel, so
they are under no legal obligation to port the number (and believe me,
they won't).

However, if you got a Cingular pre-paid, you could port your Boost
Mobile number to Cingular, then port it from Cingular to Nextel.  Or,
you could go Nextel -> Cingular -> Boost Mobile.

Go figure.

Regards,
Ozz.