[Asterisk-Users] Stay away from Grandstream!

Nir Simionovich nirs at dimitel.com
Wed Dec 28 06:32:27 MST 2005

Hmmm...

I feel that this is a little unfair towards GrandStream and other like
vendors. Any vendor on the market has issues with their firmware, I can
list many:

Sipura/LinkSys SPA 841 (Latest firmware):
1. Phone doesn't re-register upon network loss
2. Phone firware becomes stalled, without any indication of an error
while all functions continue working
3. Transfer function doesn't work as it should
4. MWI doesn't always work correctly
5. I can really go on and on...

WellTech (Latest firmware):
1. Support for g729 is buggy
2. Echo cancel is buggy and causes ATA to crash
3. IP phones have no ability to re-configure the function keys on the box
4. Transfer/Conference buttons don't do anytning

I can go on and on with other vendors, including Cisco, Nortel and more.
The thing I'm saying is that any phone you'd test would run into issues
at some
time or other - claiming to stay away from one or another causes you to
not even consider alternatives, thus at the end, you reach the Microsoft
way of
thinking.

Last week, I got a phone to test with called a MicroNet. Actually, I got
3 phones, all from Micronet. I started them up, found out that 2 of them
were
actually WellTech phones (well, the shape told me, I hoped the firmware
will be different, but I found out wrong). The third phone was
different. It's called
a Micronet SP5106 which to my surprise, worked almost flawlessly out of
the box. It took me a while to configure the network correctly, and to
understand
the logic of the menu, but after that, the rest was easy. Transfer,
3-Way conference, Forward, DND, VoiceMail button, everything worked.
What didn't
work was configurable from the web backend - in other words: I couldn't
find a flaw (yet). The only flaw I did find was this: the phone has the
ability to
connect to 3 SIP accounts at the same time. Upon defining a new account,
you need to physically RESET the phone, other than that, the phone works
just fine.

I'll be posting a full review on my blog at http://www.net-gurus.net

Regards,
  Nir S