[Asterisk-Users] unable to make calls out using ast@home

Peter Hoppe peter at radioworldwide.org
Wed Dec 28 06:02:02 MST 2005

I am setting up a phone system using Asterisk at home, version 1.5. It runs
Asterisk 1.0.9 built by root at asterisk1.local on a i686 running Linux
(Asterisk info). I had some bigger problems:

In AmpPortal /  Setup/ Extensions: When I added new SIP devices and then
looked at the resulting sip.conf I saw that the  file got messed up -
per extension settings were duplicated. As result the SIP devices didn't
register anymore. I then hand edited my sip.conf and devices did
register successfully. I then added estensions, but when I tried to
initiate phone calls, no phone rang. So I hand edited extensions.conf as
well, and lo-and-behold it  worked! Since I have some tighter deadline I
decided that it wasn't woth trying to use the AMP-portal way of things
and simply scrapped the config files which were offered and to use hand
edited files instead. System works very well now (except some features I
still have to implement).

Despite of all this I am NOT disappointed about a at home  - I think it's a
great software package, and I am very grateful that there are people who
take the trouble of setting all that up and to offer it in such an
easy-to-install package. The most likely reason that it didn't work is
probably my own ignorance. There would probably be thousands of people
who successfully used a at home as well. I just didn't have time to fiddle
with it. But the system works now fine with hand edited files.

Peter