[Asterisk-Users] Linux Partitions (before asterisk install)

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Mon Dec 12 12:44:53 MST 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:28:35AM -0800, Johnny Voice wrote:
> For my asterisk installation in my lab, I will install the

RedHat

> Linux ES v4
> distribution (with kernel 2.6) onto a Dell Power Edge 1650 with
> ~16GB of Raid-1 hard disk space.

Not much. Asterisk on its own doesn't take much either. However what
else do you need to run on that system besides Asterisk?

Below are some recommendations that are hopefully better than nothing:

>   Before installing Linux, what should I set the following disk partitions to?:
>   (root)/
>   /boot

Keep /boot off the RAID? Otherwise, I see little point in a separate
/boot .

>   swap
>   /usr

Again, I see a little point in a separate /usr . Consider keeping a
separate /usr/local , though.

>   /home

An asterisk system typically does not have users and need nt have a
separate /home

>   /tmp

Enoughtemporary space. Though if you have really really much memory, it
can be a tmpfs.

>   /var

Here sit:

* logs
* mail spool
* mail messages
* asterisk sounds
* asterisk recordings
etc.

In other words: it should be big. In some cases you should even create
seperate subpartitions under it to prevent them from filling up the rest
of the partition (e.g: to limit the size of the recording, should you
like to).