[Asterisk-Users] Linux Partitions (before asterisk install)

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Sat Dec 17 13:18:39 MST 2005

> >   /home
>
> An asterisk system typically does not have users and need nt have a
> separate /home

I disagree here.
You have at least 1 user to remotaly login to the system to
do some work on it. Think config changes etc.
In case of unauthorized access (ppl stole your password or
whatever) you will be glad you have /home on a seperate
partition that is mounted noexec,nosuid,nodev

> >   /tmp
>
> Enoughtemporary space. Though if you have really really much memory, it
> can be a tmpfs.

Same here as with /home. Although this will need some
scripting work for apt/up2date cause they run the installer
scripts from /tmp

> >   /var
>
> Here sit:
>
> * logs
> * mail spool
> * mail messages
> * asterisk sounds
> * asterisk recordings
> etc.
>
> In other words: it should be big. In some cases you should even create
> seperate subpartitions under it to prevent them from filling up the rest
> of the partition (e.g: to limit the size of the recording, should you
> like to).

Even better would be to use LVM for /var partitions.
That way you can easily add extra space to it without the
hassle of moving around data.

All this is just my tips&tricks archive for server installs.
Feel free to trash it cause it's by no means 'the way to do
it' It just works for me.

--
Michiel van Baak
http://michiel.vanbaak.info