[Asterisk-Users] IAXmodem, help

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue Dec 13 15:46:45 MST 2005

Miguel Soto wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I am testing IAXmodem+HylaFAX setup on asterisk. I have two * boxes.
>They can send faxes to each other, it works perfect. But if I register
>The two boxes into a provider I can't send a fax to each other
>(my temporal provider is goiax.com).
>
>IAXmodem seems to transmit something, but it doesn't display the
>XON/XOFF messages that indicate that the data is being transmitted.
>
>Any idea why it doesn't work?

You really aren't going to be able to find a reliable way to send fax
audio over an internet-routed VoIP path.

You may get away with it on your LAN (and I've had some recent,
inconclusive, investigations into what determines that), but almost
certainly you'll not be able to do it over a typical internet connection.

Lee.