[Asterisk-Users] ZapHFC cards not maintaining sync?!

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Sun Dec 4 23:22:48 MST 2005

> Already HAVE Florz patch installed!  :-(
> What version of * and BRIstuff are you using?

Strange, sounds like the florz patch has not been effectively applied or
it's broken. I'm using an old version of bristuff :
Asterisk 1.0.9-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC8n built by root at localhost.localdomain
on a x86_64 running Linux

I had an issue compiling it for x86_64 though, but that's a
different question.

> I assumed as much when I saw your last name... :-)
> Whereabouts in NL? I'm in Zoetermeer (ZH)...

Amsterdam, but the ISDN setup I installed near Leiden (ZH) :)

>>> 1) Every 10 seconds (!!!!) the D channel gets torn down, which
>> That's too slow, it should happen about every 1-2 seconds or so. The d
>> channel going down and up again is normal behaviour.
>
> I know it is. Used to work for a Networking Competence Centre, and we had
> the same kind of issues with 3Com Netbuilders. The first call attempt
> after the D Channel was torn down always failed... The only solution was
> to get KPN to turn on the D Channel permanently...

Strange, I never had that problem before. When the * box gets up I can
immediately make calls. Also the standard KPN A/B equipment doesn't have
this problem, sounds like it's more 3Com related.

One problem I have found with bristuff (and no solution yet), if you
disconnect the ISDN line from the * box (or the ISDN line is out of order
for a short while), bristuff will not re-establish the connection. It is
then required to unload all the modules and re-load them or even worse,
reboot the box. I guess that is a specific bristuff problem. All calls to
the ISDN line fail and it's not possible to make any calls. Even after
several hours bristuff doesn't setup the line connection.

>>> 2) Results in the CRC error, which means that
>>> 3) Every 3 minutes, the D channel goes down for EXACTLY 1 minute.
>>
>>> I could try to get the KPN to give me a permanent D channel, but are
>>> there
>>> any tricks to try that would/could make asterisk somehow keep up the D
>>> channel?...
>
> I noticed that the 'deactivated' issue doesn't happen for a while after a
> call has been placed.
>
> I am now testing placing a call every minute, with a 100 ms timeout using
> the manager api. This means it never actually gets a chance to get
> through, or be picked up, but it does cause activity on the D channel.
>
> This has been running for half an hour now, and I haven't seen the channel
> go down for extended periods since.
>
> I'm not sure whether the KPN will like it, but it's an interesting test to
> run!  <G>
>>
>> Good luck with our Royal Dutch KPN, but I would try florz first :)
>>

> Tell me about it! Like I said above, we had *extensive* experience with
> them over the D Channel issue!

Weird, I checked with KPJ before and he mentioned it is normal behaviour
for ISDN. My console is filled with messages like this :
   == Primary D-Channel on span 1 up
   == Primary D-Channel on span 1 down
   == Primary D-Channel on span 1 up
   == Primary D-Channel on span 1 down
   == Primary D-Channel on span 1 up
   == Primary D-Channel on span 1 down

and it doesn't cause me any issues. It would be nice to 'hide' these
messages when not in very verbose mode to avoid cluttering up the console.
The messages indeed do appear about every 10 seconds or so.