[Asterisk-Users] ZapHFC cards not maintaining sync?!

Francesco Peeters (Asterisk) francesco at fampeeters.com
Sat Dec 3 13:56:06 MST 2005

On Sat, December 3, 2005 19:01, Remco Barende said:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Francesco Peeters (Asterisk) wrote:
>
>> On Sat, December 3, 2005 16:40, Francesco Peeters (Asterisk) said:
>>> On Fri, December 2, 2005 22:54, Francesco Peeters said:
>>
>>> Watching the console for a while I see regular messages, which I could
>>> also find in /var/log/messages:
>>> Dec  3 16:37:15 asterisk1 kernel: zaphfc[0]: received d channel frame
>>> with
>>> bad CRC.
>>> Dec  3 16:37:36 asterisk1 kernel: zaphfc[0]: empty HDLC frame received.
>>> Dec  3 16:37:36 asterisk1 kernel: zaphfc[0]: received d channel frame
>>> with
>>> bad CRC.
>
> This is not normal. Run the florz patch over your bristuff install (I'm
> assuming you are using bristuff).  These problems will cause your box to
> hang after anything beteen 5 and 48 hours.

Already HAVE Florz patch installed!  :-(
What version of * and BRIstuff are you using?

>>> Can anyone with one or more HFC-PCI card(s) (esp. in The Netherlands)
>>> check if they see these on a regular basis as well? (And I am talking
>>> many
>>> times an hour here!)
>
> I am in NL :)

I assumed as much when I saw your last name... :-)
Whereabouts in NL? I'm in Zoetermeer (ZH)...

>> 1) Every 10 seconds (!!!!) the D channel gets torn down, which
> That's too slow, it should happen about every 1-2 seconds or so. The d
> channel going down and up again is normal behaviour.

I know it is. Used to work for a Networking Competence Centre, and we had
the same kind of issues with 3Com Netbuilders. The first call attempt
after the D Channel was torn down always failed... The only solution was
to get KPN to turn on the D Channel permanently...

>> 2) Results in the CRC error, which means that
>> 3) Every 3 minutes, the D channel goes down for EXACTLY 1 minute.
>
>> I could try to get the KPN to give me a permanent D channel, but are
>> there
>> any tricks to try that would/could make asterisk somehow keep up the D
>> channel?...

I noticed that the 'deactivated' issue doesn't happen for a while after a
call has been placed.

I am now testing placing a call every minute, with a 100 ms timeout using
the manager api. This means it never actually gets a chance to get
through, or be picked up, but it does cause activity on the D channel.

This has been running for half an hour now, and I haven't seen the channel
go down for extended periods since.

I'm not sure whether the KPN will like it, but it's an interesting test to
run!  <G>

> Good luck with our Royal Dutch KPN, but I would try florz first :)

Tell me about it! Like I said above, we had *extensive* experience with
them over the D Channel issue!

--
F Peeters
  PIII 450 - 1 GB - * 1.2 - BRIstuff 0.3.0 Pre 1 - Florz patch