[Asterisk-Users] Broadband VoIP Startup with Asterisk

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:03:14 MST 2005

With regards to #3, the advantage of putting in a PRI is that you get 23 or
24 channels that are absolutely reliable and have signal/voice quality that
is essentially as good as it gets. A PRI has got to be one of the most
reliably engineered basic services that a telephone company can offer. With
a PRI, you can expect approximately one hour of downtime per year. Even with
a fairly reliable Internet connection, I think you have to expect more than
one hour of total outage time per year (which consists of approximately 8700
hours) on a VoIP termination/origination service.

The major disadvantages of using a PRI of which I am aware are that you are
limited to 23 or 24 channels on a single line, that you have to pay for the
PRI line, and that long distance termination over the PRI line may be
somewhat more expensive than what you could arrange to purchase over SIP or
IAX Internet trunking.

As far as companies go, VoIPJet offers good rates but their terms of service
are completely ludicrous and do a good job of steering me away from that
company no matter how good their service may (or may not) be. As a matter of
fact, I am prohibited from disclosing the fact (according to VoIPJet's terms
of service) that I am now or have ever been their customer (if indeed that
were to be the case)! WTF?

I am currently testing Teliax and have had good luck with them, but have
only been testing them for a couple of days. If their service continues
working as well as it has been, then I see no problem with using them as my
primary gateway to the PSTN given the level of reliability that my system
requires (which is lower than that of the public-switched telephone network
itself).

-Rusty