[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom Phone advise

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Fri Aug 26 10:11:23 MST 2005

Hi Kurt -

> I would like to know if any body is using the Polycom Soundstation IP
> 4000 SIP conference phone with Asterisk.  I am thinking of purchasing
> one.

Yes, we have one, and we have the add-on pod mics for it, too.  The
setup works well, for the most part.  The mics aren't quite as
sensitive as I'd like them to be.  I'm sure it has to do with keeping
out backround noise, but if people do not speak loudly and clearly,
the mics won't pick them up.  The speaker is mostly good, but a bit
muddy.  That probably has to do with the fact that our asterisk ulaw
calls are only 8-bit, though.  The screen is also VERY small, but it
is bright.  On the whole, it is definitely better than trying to use
an IP500 for the same task, especially for a large space with a lot
of people.

- Noah