[Asterisk-Users] SIP Registration --Giving up forever after very short network outage.

Kai-Uwe Jensen kujensen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:04:30 MST 2005

On 8/24/05, Eric Wieling aka ManxPower <eric at fnords.org> wrote:
> Try using IP addresses instead of hostnames in sip.conf.  Asterisk's DNS
> support is supposed to be improved in CVS-HEAD, but you should still try it.
>
> However, using an IP address instread of a hostname in your host= line
> could have issues with some ways a provider might do failover and load
> balancing.

You also want to look at the "registertimeout" and "registerattempts"
options for your sip.conf. I had lots of problem staying registered
with various providers, so now I'm running with "registerattempts=0",
IOW try forever to (re-)register. In conjunction with the
registertimeout you have some control over how often you retry. (IIRC,
both options are CVS-HEAD only, not available in stable. But so is the
"Giving up forever" error. At least I think that's the case.)

--
"I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your ass will be lamitated!"