[Asterisk-Users] SIP Registration --Giving up forever after very short network outage.

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Wed Aug 24 19:48:49 MST 2005

Steve Gladden wrote:
> I'm looking for some help in how to keep asterisk from doing this.
> If we loose Internet or routing to our upstream provider even for only a
> few short minutes asterisk quickly gives up & never tries again.
> I have to do a manual reload to get it to register with my
> sip provider(s) again before incoming calls are accepted.

Try using IP addresses instead of hostnames in sip.conf.  Asterisk's DNS
support is supposed to be improved in CVS-HEAD, but you should still try it.

However, using an IP address instread of a hostname in your host= line
could have issues with some ways a provider might do failover and load
balancing.