[Asterisk-Users] Small office setup/using analog lines w/ Asterisk

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Sat Aug 20 22:05:31 MST 2005

Hi,

We recently tried installing Asterisk for a small office. We figured the
safest way to go would be to buy from someone who sold equipment
specifically for Asterisk and to use a consultant that they
recommended.  However ... it didn't turn out so great.  Sound quality is
terrible -- the echo is pretty bad, and there are popping noises, too.
Callers say that people on the Asterisk end sound very faint, while
people on the Asterisk end hear people maybe too loundly (might be
related to the popping noises -- sounds like when you have stereo turned
up too high).  The reseller and the consultant both say that the most
likely cause for this is using Digium cards w/ analog phone lines.
Apparently, they say, sound quality can be pretty bad.

I called Digium and they gave me some suggestions for settings, but
nothing has worked well. So I wanted to ask others ... has anyone had
good luck with using analog phone lines and Asterisk? Especially with
Digium cards (we use the TDM400P)? Although from reading articles on the
net it sounds like people do have a lot of echo problems, it also sounds
like some people are using analog phone lines with some success.

FYI, what I've mainly done is try changing echotraining, echocancel,
echocancelwhenbridged, txgain, and rxgain in zapata.conf. I've heard
from the reseller that what might work better is to trade the Digium
cards in for VegaStream gateway. It's more expensive, but apparently has
a DSP built in that should increase voice quality. Of course, they say
there are no guarantees with this.  They also mentioned (after the fact)
that Asterisk systems don't necessarily save money. So far, the
experience has been very frustrating and I'd love to hear some success
stories from others (or more info on what I can realistically expect
from an Asterisk system)! And, of course, some ideas on how I can get
things to work better.

One of the next tests will be using Asterisk with a VoIP provider to see
what the sound quality is like with digital on both ends. PRI sounds
like it'd be even better, but for an office w/ 5 people, it sounds
pretty expensive. How do other people do this?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Jen