[Asterisk-Users] Small office setup/using analog lines w/

karl at streetlampsoftware.com karl at streetlampsoftware.com
Sun Aug 21 01:37:26 MST 2005

Jenny -

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I just installed Asterisk on Friday and I
spent all day trying to de-gremlin my system. I'm glad I'm doing it for
myself and we haven't switched from our legacy system yet, but I have a
potential client that wants to see how well I can implement this system
for myself...

(Speaking of which, don't forget that your supplier and consultant
probably make more off of other phone systems and a lot of old-line
suppliers are kind of afraid of Asterisk. There were some big companies
that lost out when the State of Oregon's court system went to Asterisk for
their teleconferencing needs... 600 MeetMe sessions a day does say
something, I think.)

First, it would help -me- to know precisely what hardware you're using
(including network... switches and cards) and what phones you're using.
You can email me off-list if you want.

I'm personally using a AMD Sempron-based system with a TDM-04B (4x FXO) in
it, routing out through an IntelPro 10/100 card. The data switch is
currently a crappy D-Link, but more on that and the network card in a
second. The other end is one soft phone on Linux and two SPA-841 hardware
phones.

When I first installed, the echo was terrible. Tweaking around with the
echo settings in zapata.conf endlessly didn't do a whole lot. So, using my
go-go-gadget troubleshooting instincts (and my handy-dandy go-go-gadget
credit card) I figured the problem might be network latency ... so I
replaced the crappy realtek network card with a high-quality Intel one,
and borrwed a Dell managed switch from a client for the day. Voila, a few
more tweaks to the echo learning rate and my echo problems went away, and
I spent 45 minutes learning about my sister's love life in the wilds of
downtown San Francisco. (Note to self: Don't use family to test telecom
systems.) The clicking persisted, though. I thought it was the phone at
first, but if you're experiencing it too... well, apparently it's not.

I searched the archives and couldn't find any other reference to clicking
noises, so I'm at a loss but I'm hoping it's wiring-based and heading back
to the office tomorrow to try and solve it. I think you're right that
Digium is focusing on their T-1/E-1 market. I've noticed it when I called
with a question, and that really ticks me off. It might be a decent, sound
business decision based on profits for the different cards, but it's
leaving a lot of us smaller business operators -- those who might take
great experiences with Digium and Asterisk products into potential large
customers -- swinging in the wind.

-Karl Katzke
Streetlamp Software Solutions
http://www.streetlampsoftware.com