[Asterisk-Users] Firewall will definatelyincrease jittersinyourvoice conversation

Wiley Siler wsiler at education2020.com
Mon Aug 15 13:21:53 MST 2005

Typically a "hardware" firewall is specialized and uses ASICs.  Because
the solution utilizes specialized chips tailored to the task, this is
considered a hardware based solution.  Of course software is involved
but it too is specialized and is even proprietary in nature.

A "software" firewall, be it BlackICE or even a Linux on PC uses no
specialized hardware.  Thus the "software" designation.  It runs on
pretty much any x86 hardware (Linux at least) and is not proprietary in
nature.

That is the general meaning when people say hardware or software
firewall.  Sure, both technically use some form of hardware and
software.  But the specialization of that hardware is what makes it
designated as hardware based or software based.  There have been
countless arguments over firewalls in the "software vs. hardware" arena.
At this point and time, I can say I feel that both have great purpose
and functionality.  I prefer my Pix because I use VPN tunnels to certain
sites that have Cisco on the other side and it makes things easier.  The
configuration of my firewall is also very simplified with my Pix.  I ran
a Linux firewall for quite a while and I loved it.  With the amount of
power available to the modern (or even somewhat outdated) PC, you can
leverage plenty of performance out of a marginal box.  So, to each there
own!  Use what works best for you application.

Great points on single entry point being easier BTW.

Cheers,
Wiley