[Asterisk-Users] One more newbie question

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Sun Aug 14 14:16:22 MST 2005

> On 8/13/05, Tom Rymes <trymes at rymesheating.com> wrote:
> snip sean ....
> >
> > This is not that difficult. The first question you need to
> answer is
> > whether you want to use a dedicated circuit (E1/T1/PRI) or multiple
> > copper lines. This mostly depends on the call volume that
> you will be
> > handling. Depending on your choice, you can install either
> a Sangoma
> > or a Digium card to handle a dedicated circuit or you can
> use a Digium
> > TDM400B card or a PSTN gateway to connect to your POTS phone lines.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> I'n so new to asterisk there is still a bright shiny wrapper on me.
>
> As I consider options for asterisk I would like to know... is
> it possible to split an existing data T1 for use with both
> data and voip or another variant of voice service or does it
> need to be dedicated to voice.
>
> along this line... a really good and useful FAQ is what I need.

Bill,

Maybe you should purchase Paul Mahler's book or another that serves as
an introduction to VOIP/phone technology. Paul's is available at
signate.com, and though it was written w while back, it will still give
you a good feel for where you should start.

Beyond that, I would consider hiring a consultant.

Tom