[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P FXO channel hookstate always "Offhook" & outbound digits sent before provider dialtone

Stephen Joyce sjoyce at tsinc.com
Fri Aug 12 10:29:57 MST 2005

I have an Asterisk at Home 1.3 server (Asterisk 1.0.9) and recently added a
TDM400P with (1) FXO card on port 4. Inbound calls are always successful
but outbound calls fail 75% of the time with intercept messages from my
dial tone provider that include "we're sorry, your call did not go
through", and "we're sorry, when placing a local call it is now
necessary to dial an area code and the 7-digit number".

I have connected a test set in monitor mode to the phone line to listen
to what's being sent out the line by the Zap channel and 10 digits are
sent but the first digit is usually sent only as I hear the dial tone
being drawn from the line, so it appears that it's sent before the
provider is ready to receive it. I can't find any sort of setting that
would allow me to manually configure a dialing delay on the line, but I
suspect this would provide a band-aid.

When looking at the Asterisk CLI, I see that the correct number is being
dialed by my dial plan. I am calling from SIP extension 1100 and calling
770-555-1234, which is a local 10-digit phone number.
-- Executing Dial("SIP/1100-9adc", "ZAP/g0/7705551234") in new stack
-- Called g0/7705551234
-- Zap/4-1 answered SIP/1100-9adc

The status of the channel is "Offhook" regardless of whether or not the
phone line is actually Offhook or completely idle. I'm assuming that
when the line seems idle, it should show as Onhook.

------------------------------------
asterisk2*CLI> zap show channel 4
------------------------------------
Channel: 4CLI>
File Descriptor: 15
Span: 1
Extension:
Dialing: no
Context: from-pstn
Caller ID string:
Destroy: 0
InAlarm: 0
Signalling Type: FXS Kewlstart
Owner: <None>
Real: <None>
Callwait: <None>
Threeway: <None>
Confno: -1
Propagated Conference: -1
Real in conference: 0
DSP: no
Relax DTMF: no
Dialing/CallwaitCAS: 0/0
Default law: ulaw
Fax Handled: no
Pulse phone: no
Echo Cancellation: 128 taps unless TDM bridged, currently OFF
Actual Confinfo: Num/0, Mode/0x0000
Actual Confmute: No
Actual Hookstate: Offhook

------------------------------------
Contents of /etc/zaptel.conf
------------------------------------
# Autogenerated by /usr/local/sbin/genzaptelconf -- do not hand edit
# Zaptel Configuration File
#
# This file is parsed by the Zaptel Configurator, ztcfg
#

# It must be in the module loading order

# Span 1: WCTDM/0 "Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 1"
# channel 1, WCTDM, inactive.
# channel 2, WCTDM, inactive.
# channel 3, WCTDM, inactive.
fxsks=4

# Global data

loadzone	= us
defaultzone	= us

------------------------------------
Contents of /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf
------------------------------------
;
; Zapata telephony interface
;
; Configuration file

[trunkgroups]

[channels]

language=en
context=from-pstn
signalling=fxs_ks

usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=yes
usecallingpres=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
cancallforward=yes
callreturn=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=no
echotraining=800
rxgain=12.0
txgain=0.0
group=0
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
immediate=no

;faxdetect=both
faxdetect=incoming
;faxdetect=outgoing
;faxdetect=no

;Include AMP configs
#include zapata_additional.conf

;Include genzaptelconf configs
#include zapata-auto.conf

------------------------------------
Contents of /etc/asterisk/Zapata-auto.conf
------------------------------------
; Autogenerated by /usr/local/sbin/genzaptelconf -- do not hand edit
; Zaptel Channels Configurations (zapata.conf)
;
; This is not intended to be a complete zapata.conf. Rather, it is
intended
; to be #include-d by /etc/zapata.conf that will include the global
settings
;

; Span 1: WCTDM/0 "Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 1"
; channel 1, WCTDM, inactive.
; channel 2, WCTDM, inactive.
; channel 3, WCTDM, inactive.
signalling=fxs_ks
; Note: this is a trunk. Create a ZAP trunk in AMP for Channel 4
context=from-pstn
group=0
channel => 4

Thanks for your consideration in reviewing my configuration and
suggesting some diagnostic steps and/or solutions.

Cheers - Stephen Joyce