ARTCP Project (was RE: [Asterisk-Users] Features you'd like toseeina GUI?)

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:04:27 MST 2005

Why does the system have to be based on a linux distro?   I think
that's the wrong way to go.  It's one thing to create a linux distro
around a popular piece of software, but it's another to create
software that can only be used as an entire linux distribution.

If I were you I would take an existing application server platform of
some type that is already popular, and build a management interface on
top of that.  Say something like Zope or mod perl/Mason.  Preferrably
you want a platform that has a good web application server and can
also be extended using a good general purpose programming language
like Perl or Python.  Then after the core product is done add in
secondary things like backups and monitoring.

And although I know php is hugely popular and would make it easy for
many to contribute, I would think twice about it.  In real life it can
get messy really quick on large projects,  and it's not the best
general purpose programming language.  my favorite would be python,
but that's just me.  As for databases use an abstraction layer.  Even
if you aren't familiar with databases other than mysql, someone else
will be.

Some of these types of decisions will be what decides whether your
project goes anywhere or not.  And also, be prepared to do most of the
work yourself with little help until a first usable version is
produced.  Lot's of people jump on the bandwagon once you get
something going, but few will jump in and help a lot right from the
start.  If you don't have the time yourself, or can't put together at
least a handful of people that do have the time, you are kind of
doomed from the start.  Everyone (like me) will be more than ready to
give you their opinions on how to do things, but you won't see many of
them when it comes time to actually do any work:)

Good luck