[Asterisk-Users] Re: two UA with the same usr/pwd

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Wed Aug 3 07:21:48 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:
> All of these postings about ringing two (or more) phones is well known
> and fairly well understood by everyone. The "issue" that everyone seems
> to want to ignore in the postings is the "busy lamp field" functionality
> of key systems (not pbx's). I'm not the OP and I've been around *
> and sip phones for over two years.
>
> The issue that the OP was asking about (as have many many others over
> the same two years) is that associated with a lamp (led) indicating
> when a specific extension is in use, AND, being able to press the
> button associated with that lamp and truly pick up that specific
> extension.
>
> Over my 20+ years of being a technical engineer for a very large telco,
> the best example that I've seen over and over again is that of an
> executive and secretary where neither one can "see" the other. The
> executive will typically yell for the secretary to pick up the line
> that is on hold and finish handling a call. The secretary can't tell
> which of the executive's six lines are on hold, can't use call pickup
> (cause the phone ain't ringing), can't use directed call pickup (since
> the secretary doesn't know which of the six lines is on hold), and
> suggestions to train the executive will likely involve seeking
> employment.

Multiple devices registering as the same user is not the solution to
wanting a Busy Lamp Field.  What you want to do is search the Wiki and
mailing list archive for the "hint priority".  In SIP Busy Lamp Fields
are done using PUBLISH/SUBSCRIBE, not using REGISTER.  MANY people
have gotten Busy Lamp Fields with Asterisk without needing to register
the same username to multiple devices.

Of course your problem will become the fact that virtually no SIP
devices support more than 5 "line" buttons.  The devices that do
support more than 5 "line" buttons don't run SIP.  The only device
that I know of is the SNOM, but I've never used it.  The Cisco
"sidecar" does not run SIP.

--
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain