[Asterisk-Users] Re: two UA with the same usr/pwd

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Aug 3 05:55:06 MST 2005

All of these postings about ringing two (or more) phones is well known
and fairly well understood by everyone. The "issue" that everyone seems
to want to ignore in the postings is the "busy lamp field" functionality
of key systems (not pbx's). I'm not the OP and I've been around *
and sip phones for over two years.

The issue that the OP was asking about (as have many many others over
the same two years) is that associated with a lamp (led) indicating
when a specific extension is in use, AND, being able to press the
button associated with that lamp and truly pick up that specific
extension.

Over my 20+ years of being a technical engineer for a very large telco,
the best example that I've seen over and over again is that of an
executive and secretary where neither one can "see" the other. The
executive will typically yell for the secretary to pick up the line
that is on hold and finish handling a call. The secretary can't tell
which of the executive's six lines are on hold, can't use call pickup
(cause the phone ain't ringing), can't use directed call pickup (since
the secretary doesn't know which of the six lines is on hold), and
suggestions to train the executive will likely involve seeking
employment.

Personally, I understand that sip phones need more functionality then
is currently engineered into firmware (with few exceptions), but
the posters asking for this functionality don't know that. The typical
response on this list is "sure you can ring two phones", or, "that's
the difference between a pbx and a key system." Neither one of those
original question, and the second response is based on historical
pbx vs key system definitions that do not hold true with current
day competitive pbx functionality.

So, the bottom line answer to the OP's original question really is
that asterisk AND current sip phones "cannot" emulate key system
or competitive pbx functionality, but that certainly does not imply
the functionality can't be added to both at some future time. Lots
of people would really be thrilled if that could happen sooner rather
then later.

That functionality "is" considered/assumed to exist in all telephone
systems by "non-technical business users", regardless of what us
technical types think. Therefore, asterisk does not meet the typical
business user's expectations.