[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and sendmail

Roger Hanson roger at makarios.us
Fri Apr 29 22:19:06 MST 2005

Bill Ford wrote:

>Since all the asterisk program needs to do is send mail through smtp,
>and since using sendmail for this purpose is a bit like using Jeff
>Gordon's racing engine on a bicycle we opted to scrap sendmail and use
>msmtp. This is basically just an smtp engine. To our mail server, it
>looks just like any other smtp client. It's very easy to set up. After
>you have it working from the command line, simply remove the sendmail
>startup from init.d, rename the sendmail executable (I renamed mine
>sendmail.orig, and it's in /usr/sbin). msmtp installs itself in
>/usr/local/bin, so I created a link in the sbin directory to link
>msmtp to the filename sendmail in sbin.
>(ln -s /usr/local/bin/msmtp /usr/sbin/sendmail). That way whenever a
>program calls sendmail, it is in reality calling msmtp. It works like
>a charm.
>
>Hope this helps
>Bill
>
>On 4/29/05, Chuck Keeter <ckeeter at ufie.org> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Can someone point me in the right direction to configuring sendmail to work
>>with Asterisk voicemail and faxes?
>>
>>I did  a bit of research on the web but came up more confused that when I
>>started.
>>
>>It's the basic setup I'm having trouble with, where to add the SMTP and
>>login and user name to sendmail to use a smart host in getting v-mail and
>>faxes to the people they are going to.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Chuck Keeter

I had the same problem and was advised to can sendmail and switch to
postfix, which I've never had trouble with.

Here's how I did it::
Here is how you can switch MTAs and configure postfix (assumes WBEL is
the distro):

0. Install redhat-switch-mail (as root, if you don't have it):

yum install redhat-switch-mail

1. Run (as root):

redhat-switch-mail

Select "Postfix"

2. Edit (with vi, as root) /etc/postfix/main.cf

such that:

mydomain = yourdomain.com

and:

myorigin = $mydomain